What is Green Building?
Green building is a whole-systems approach for designing and constructing buildings that conserve energy, water, and material resources. Green buildings are healthier, safer, and more comfortable.
In practical terms, green building includes:
- Using sun and wind to the building's advantage for natural heating, cooling, and daylighting
- Landscaping with native plants and using water efficiently
- Building quality, durable structures
- Insulating well and ventilating appropriately
- Incorporating salvaged, recycled, and sustainably-harvested materials
- Maintaining healthy indoor air quality with appropriate building techniques and materials
- Using energy efficient and water-saving appliances and fixtures
- Reducing and recycling construction waste
Products and tips for your green home improvement
The green products directory is a local unbiased resource for green home improvements.
- Energy Conservation and Green Building Agencies and Resources
- Build It Green offers:
- Continuing education and networking for public agencies, non-profits, and building professionals
- Listing of certified green architects and building contractors
- Materials database - An extensive listing of green products, materials, and technologies available in the Bay Area
- Fact sheets, referrals, case studies, event listings, green building links, and in-depth information on green building materials and strategies
- Green home tours, workshops, and presentations