What is a Green Building?
Green building is a whole-systems approach for designing and constructing buildings that conserve energy, water, and material resources. Green buildings are healthier, safer, and more comfortable.
In practical terms, green building includes:
- Using sun and wind to the building's advantage for natural heating, cooling, and daylighting
- Landscaping with native plants and using water efficiently
- Building quality, durable structures
- Insulating well and ventilating appropriately
- Incorporating salvaged, recycled, and sustainably-harvested materials
- Maintaining healthy indoor air quality with appropriate building techniques and materials
- Using energy efficient and water-saving appliances and fixtures
- Reducing and recycling construction waste