Water is a limited resource and is used for a variety of tasks in different sectors. The average American uses 400 gallons of water per day! The City of Emeryville is committed to sustainable water resources management and aims to reduce water use in the community by 30%.
Check out some tips below to see how you can do your part in conserving water for a sustainable and healthy future.
- Take 3-minute (or less) showers. The average shower head uses 2.5 gallons of water per minute. According to the EPA, running the hot water faucet for 5 minutes uses about the same amount of energy as burning a 60-watt bulb for 14 hours.
- Don't leave the faucet running. Turn off the water when not needed while brushing your teeth or leaving it off until it's time to rinse when washing hands.
- Check for leaks. Fixing leaks mean bigger water savings!
- Potting used water. Save excess water in a barrel or small pot and use it to water your plants or yard.
- Install water efficient fixtures. Toilets. Showerheads. Faucets. Invest a little $$$ for bigger water savings down the line. Visit your nearby hardware or appliance store and look for water efficiency tools.
- Mulch that lawn! Lawns require a vast amount of water; have a sheet mulch party and convert your lawn into a garden with drought tolerant plants and flowers.
Don't forget to take advantage of water conservation incentives and rebates from EBMUD!
Customer Assistance Program
Lawn Conversion and Irrigation Rebates
Get up to $2,000 for converting your lawn and upgrading irrigation equipment; rebates vary depending on square footage converted and type of equipment installed. Click here for more information.
EBMUD and Contra Costa Water District partners with local nurseries, garden centers, and soil companies to offer discounts on organic mulch. Grab your coupon here!
Up to 40% of your indoor water can be captured and reused as greywater. EBMUD offers rebates up to $50 for the purchase of a greywater three-way diverter valve. Click here to start using your water efficiently.
Free Water-Saving Devices
Showerheads, faucet aerators, and other water-saving devices are available for free to eligible EBMUD customers. Get yours here today!