Small Business Incentives and Rebate Programs
Business Grant Programs
The City’s Economic Development Strategy includes a Strategic Goal to “Support small and local businesses” including establishment of small business incentives. In the past, this has taken the form of grant programs such as the City's Façade Grant program and other grant programs. In recent years, Emeryville’s City Council worked with staff to revitalize the Façade grant program; a tool which supports small businesses through financial assistance for the rehabilitation and upgrade of commercial buildings including interior modifications where appropriate.
Many small business and commercial property owners have been able to use these grants to update their properties. These grants are intended to promote business creation, retention, and general quality of life through improved streetscapes.
However, as a result of civil unrest events experienced in Emeryville on May 30, 2020, the City Council redirected the Façade Improvement Grant Funds for Fiscal Year 2020-2021 for relief grants to impacted businesses. The Façade Improvement Program is expected to be redesigned prior to additional funds becoming available, which would be completed no sooner than July 2021.
Please contact Community and Economic Development Coordinator Emi Theriault at email@example.com for additional information.
The City’s Economic Development Strategy includes a Strategic Goal to “Support small and local businesses” including establishment of small business incentives. To implement this priority, Emeryville’s City Council worked with staff to develop a program that provides for rebates to small, independent restaurant and retail business owners. Current available rebates include:
- Business License Tax Rebates
- Fire Inspection Fee Rebates
- Cabaret License Fee Rebates
- Sidewalk Sign Permit Fee Rebates
Guidelines for the program were originally approved by Council in February of 2017 and the program was expanded in April 2020. These Program Guidelines outline the Rebate Program, including eligibility criteria and application requirements such as:
- The “Business License Tax Rebate Application Form” may be used for requests for one or all of the following: Business License Tax, Fire Inspection Fee, Cabaret License Fee, and/or Sidewalk Sign Permit Fee rebates.
- Applications require submittal of your business’ W-9 form in order to allow our Finance Department staff to issue a check for the requested rebate. All applications must be signed by the business owner or co-owner on record with the City.
- Note: All applications will be processed on a first come first served basis as well as compliance with program guidelines such as eligibility.
Applicants may submit an application online.
CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
Before you submit online read this! Please make sure you have your W9 ready. Online applications require applicants to scan the application form (please use pdf or jpeg format) and to provide an electronic signature. Links to submit the W9 electronic document and your signature are provided in the online form. If you have any questions regarding your application or eligibility, please contact our Small Business support staff person, Emi Thériault, at firstname.lastname@example.org.