According to the Cabarets and Dances ordinance, a “cabaret” refers to “any event or place where live entertainment is provided by or for any patron or guest, including but not limited to: singing, playing music, dancing, acting, holding a fashion show, performing pantomime, performing comedy or other act or performance and to which admission may be gained by the public with or without admission. For more information, see the ordinance language.
- Submit two copies of the Cabaret Permit Application Form and the Cabaret License Application Fee to:
City of Emeryville Cashier Counter
1333 Park Ave, Emeryville
Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm; 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Please note that the application fee must be paid before the application can be processed and is non-refundable. Payment by cash, check, or card.
- The Police Department shall submit a written report to the City Manager within 60 days of receipt of a completed application containing a recommendation as to whether the requested license should be granted; the City Manager will submit the recommendation to the City Council, who will vote on whether to issue the license within 30 days. It is important to note that cabaret permits must be renewed annually on a calendar year basis; if you are applying for a calendar permit in the last couple months of the year, it may be wiser to wait until the new year the submit your application given the gap between receipt of the application and the permit being granted. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- The applicant(s) must provide the following:
i. A complete name and address;
ii. Complete set of fingerprints;
iii. Criminal records, if applicable;
iv. A statement describing any previous permits obtained by the applicant for the sale of alcohol or any entertainment. If the applicant has previously applied for a permit or license that has been denied, revoked, or suspended, please provide information about the type of permit, the time of denial, revocation, or suspension, the jurisdiction involved, and the reasons for such action;
v. A full and complete financial statement.
- Payment for application fee.
- The location of the cabaret or dance hall for which the license is required, including a building and floor plan of the premises; once the license is issued, the floor plan may not be modified without the prior written approval of the City.
- Business License, if applicable.
- The complete name and address of each owner or owners of the cabaret location.
- A detailed description of the proposed activities to be conducted, including whether an admission fee or cover charge will be charged or whether tickets will be issued.
- The identity of all on-site managers.
- A description of security measures, including security personnel staffing, training and provision of security in and around off-street parking areas, and whether security personnel will be armed.
- A statement regarding whether alcohol will be served and whether the applicant has or will be applying for a license from the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.
- Confirm zoning compliance by emailing the planning department. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Cabaret Permit Fee: Effective 7/1/2022, a One Day Cabaret Permit costs $1000; an Annual Cabaret Application Fee costs $1,672. Annual permits are renewed on a calendar year basis. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>