Cannabis (Marijuana) Operating Permit
Businesses that manufacture, distribute, process, store, test, label, transport, research and development, or deliver cannabis or cannabis products require a Conditional Use Permit, Operator’s Permit and State permit prior to commencement of operations. This page will solely outline the process for obtaining an operator’s permit, issued by the Police Department. We encourage all cannabis businesses interested in locating in Emeryville to read our Cannabis Business Information page.
- Decide which type of permit(s) your business requires based on the “Permit Specifications” table found on the first page of the Cannabis Business Application form.
- Submit the Cannabis Business Application Form and pay the Cannabis Business Permit Fee at:
The Emeryville Cashier Counter
1333 Park Avenue, Emeryville
Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm; 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Please note that the fee is due before the application can be processed and is non-refundable. Payment by cash, check, or card.
- Complete a background check application for each business owner and key employee that makes or will make operational or management decisions that directly impact the business. The background check forms may be dropped off with the main application or may be submitted individually by employees to the Emeryville Cashier Counter, 1333 Park Ave.
- The Police Chief will consider the application. If the Police Chief disapproves of an application, he or she will notify the applicant in writing, and the applicant will have 15 days to appeal the disapproval. If the application is approved, the permit will be valid for one year from the date of issuance. A permit renewal application and any applicable fees must be submitted at least sixty days prior to the expiration of the permit. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Receipts showing payment of Cannabis Business Operating Permit Fee
- State or other local cannabis business licenses that the business has obtained or plans to obtain
- Background check application for each business owner and key employee. The background check application requires:
- The name and current address of applicant
- Criminal records (if applicable)
- Recent photograph (taken no later than 6 months prior to the date of the application)
- Complete set of fingerprints
@(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Initial Cannabis Business Operating Permit Application Fee: Cost Recovery
- Cannabis Key Individual Application fee (cost of processing background checks): $500 each
- If renewing, Renewal of Cannabis Business Permit Fee: $762 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>