Community Event Permits

Concert in the Park

Definition of a Community Event

A community event is any planned gathering on public property consisting of 50 or more people or any sized event which blocks/reserves access to public property / right of way. Examples of these events include, but are not limited to:
  • Pre-planned Marches / Demonstrations
  • Parades
  • Weddings
  • Block Parties
  • Concerts in the Park

Step by Step Rental Instructions for Community Events

Community events require a permit issued by the City of Emeryville Community Services Department. Please complete the requirements listed below at least 30 days in advance of your event.
  1. Download and review the Community Event Permit Guide and complete the Community Event Permit Application by clicking on the link, emailing or in person at:
    4727 San Pablo Ave.
    Emeryville CA. 94608
  2. Download and review the Rental Fee Chart - Community Events & Parks 
  3. Submit the Community Event Application and appropriate application fee to Ellen Han. To verify residency please reference this List of Emeryville Resident Addresses
  4. Once the application is reviewed by the Community Events Committee the applicant will be contacted as soon as possible
  5. If the application is approved or approved with conditions, all the associated fees must be paid and all the conditions met prior to the rental date
  6. Once all fees are paid and all conditions are met, a final permit will be issued

Mandatory Permit Requirements

  • All Community Events must provide a $1,000,000 Certificate of Event Liability Insurance indemnifying the City of Emeryville.
    • Note that Event Liability Insurance is offered through the City of Emeryville / Hub International for those renters unable/unwilling to obtain their own Certificate of Insurance.
  • Incorporate the Emeryville Green Ordinances into your event: Recycling / Eco Food-Ware Flyer

Optional Permit Requirements

Depending on your event details, you may be asked to complete these requirements in order to receive your permit.
  • Events Serving Alcohol: Alcohol may only be served if it is sold by a non-profit organization and that satisfies the following requirements:
    • Submit a valid "Daily License (Special One-Day Event Permit)" from the Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) of California. To complete the application (ABC 221), you'll need permission from the Emeryville Police Department as the "landowner" signee. Contact the Police Department at 510-596-3700.
    • Public Alcohol Consumption Fee applies.
    • Permission from the Emeryville Police Department (via a written request to serve alcohol) is required. See the Sample Alcohol Request for the recommended content / formatting of of the written request letter.
    • Events using certain tents or canopies may be required to apply for a Tent and Canopy Permit from the Alameda County Fire Marshall. Download the Tent and Other Membrane Structures Informational Bulletin here. Contact the Fire Prevention Inspector if you have specific questions at 510-596-3759

Submitting Applications & Questions

Email or call 510-596-4395